Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 1 of World Vegetarian Week!

The first day of World Vegetarian Week seemed to be a challenge for some and easy for others.  Below are some comments from the students taking the challenge!

James, who is already a vegetarian, had this to say about the first day of World Vegetarian Week:  "For breakfast I had my bowl of cereal with raisins. For lunch(because I get to have lunch time on Mondays) I had ramen noodles with a cup of fruit. Dinner I had grilled cheese and fries. It was my busy body day and almost every Monday is so I never get to enjoy the Meatless Monday's; however, Destination 360 was sooo overwhelming it was ridiculous. The fact that people cry because they can't have meat is painstaking. There are little kids in Africa who have never eaten a day in their lives yet they would kill to have just SOMETHING to eat. A lot of Americans take what they're given for granted, but they should learn to enjoy it. Those kids would literally kill to have what is available here."

Cameron, who is not a vegetarian and is taking the challenge had a successful first day.  Cameron recapped his day for us:  "So today was interesting. I found myself eating a bit more at times because there wasn't as much protein to fill me up. However, i did enjoy some pretty decent meals. I had coffee and coco puffs with milk for breakfast. Orange juice, a pbj sandwich, and chick-fil-a hash browns for mid-morning snack/lunch at the Croatan, a jello pudding cup and a peanut butter and nutella sandwich for afternoon snack, and a fall vegetable curry over rice, vegan tacos, applesauce, and veggie pizza for dinner at Todd. As far as I was concerned, I was very impressed with Todd's selection of vegetarian options tonight. However, I feel as though that was a very rare occurrence based on past experience. Overall, a successful first day as a vegetarian."
Andrew, who is also new to vegetarinism struggled a little but still managed to meet the challenge!  This is what Andrew had to say about his first day:  "Meat withdraw is already hitting me. Im realizing all the good foods 'im missing out of' now. But i managed to find just as many vegetarian foods alongside them too so its not all bad. This includes mashed potatoes, a light salad and apple sauce.  An odd combo, but a good dinner."

Cassandra, also a non-vegetarian is taking our challenge and felt like her first day was a breeze!  Cassandra says:  "I don't think going vegetarian is that bad since I am not a big meat eater. Today I had a slice of cheese pizza with a salad in the dinning hall for lunch and then i had mash potatoes, broccoli and like 2 plates of melon dew for dinner and a doughnut for dessert. As of right now it isn't too bad."

Thanks everyone for keeping us updated with your successes and challenges of going Vegetarian for the week!  Stay tuned for more stories from Day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment